Shopify Theme Kit
Theme Kit is a command line tool for shopify themes. Download the application and with a tiny bit of setup you’re off to the theme creation races.
Using Theme Kit will enable you to
- Upload Themes to Multiple Environments
- Fast Uploads and Downloads
- Watch for local changes and upload automatically to Shopify
- Works on Windows, Linux and macOS
Use homebrew to install Theme Kit by running the following commands.
brew tap shopify/shopify brew install themekit
Windows Chocolatey Installation
If you have chocolatey installed you can install themekit by running the following commands.
choco install themekit
If you are on linux based system, you can use the following installation script to automatically download and install the latest Theme Kit for you.
curl -s https://www.aestheticsonpoint.com/themekit/scripts/install.py | sudo python
There is a package available for install on the AUR
Linux & macOS
- Download the themekit binary that works for your system.
- Compare checksums of the binary by running
- Put the binary on your path. We recommend somewhere like
- Ensure that it works as expected by running
- Create a folder inside
- Download themekit (below) and copy the extracted program into
C:\Program Files\Theme Kit
- You will then need to add
C:\Program Files\Theme Kitto your
PATHenvironment variable. You can find really in-depth instructions here
- To verify that Theme Kit has been installed, open
cmd.exeand type in
Build from source
Please refer to the contributing docs
Get API Access
You’ll need to set up new Shopify API credentials to connect Theme Kit to your store and manage your template files. Theme Kit manages its connection using a private app.
- In the store’s Shopify admin, click Apps.
- Near the bottom of the page, click on Manage private apps.
- Click Create new private app.
- In the App details section, fill out the app name and your email address.
- In the Admin API section, click Show inactive Admin API permissions.
- Scroll to the “Themes” section and select Read and write from the dropdown.
- Click Save.
- Read the private app confirmation dialog, then click Create app.
You’ll return to the app detail page. Your new, unique access credentials are visible in the Admin API section. Copy the password. You’ll use it in the next step.
Create a new theme.
If you are starting from scratch and want to get a quick start, run the following:
theme new --password=[your-password] --store=[your-store.myshopify.com] --name=[theme name]
- generate a basic theme template locally
- create a theme on shopify
- upload the new files to shopify
- Create/update your config file with the configuration for your new theme.
Configure an existing theme.
To connect an existing theme, you need the theme’s ID number. The easiest way to get your theme’s ID number is to use the get command like this:
theme get --list -p=[your-password] -s=[you-store.myshopify.com]
Then once you have noted your theme ID, run the following command to generate a config and download the theme from shopify:
theme get -p=[your-password] -s=[you-store.myshopify.com] -t=[your-theme-id]